For Employees

The City of Fort Worth has established a custom panel of healthcare providers who are experts in treating workplace injuries. We have assembled a system of health care providers who focus on positive treatment outcomes and returning injured workers to productive status as quickly as is medically feasible. This approach and the provider panel helps ensure that injured employees have access to appropriate and effective treatment for workers’ compensation injuries.

Frequently asked questions

  • What if I have an emergency? What should I do?

    If you are injured at work and it is a life-threatening emergency, go to the nearest emergency room.Emergency care does not need to be approved in advance and you are not required to see a doctor from the panel of providers. A medical emergency is a medical condition that comes up suddenly. The symptoms are acute and severe enough that a reasonable person would believe that they need immediate care or they would be harmed. That harm would include your health or bodily functions being in danger or a loss of function of any body organ or part.After you receive emergency care, your injury may require ongoing care. At that time you will need to select a treating doctor from the provider list located at the top of the page.

  • Do I have to choose a doctor from the panel of providers?

    Yes, You must choose a treating doctor from the BlackStone panel of providers.

    This is REQUIRED in order for the cost of your medical care for the work related injury to be covered by your employer’s workers’ compensation program.

  • How do I choose a treating doctor?

    A listing of all the providers in BlackStone is available through the BlackStone Provider Lookup function. You will be taken to a webpage that allows you to enter your ZIP Code and a search radius and to select a type of provider from a dropdown menu.

    The list is updated regularly and identifies providers who are taking new patients.

  • What if a doctor on the provider list says that he/she no longer takes workers' compensation?

    We make every effort to keep the list up to date, but if you find a provider who no longer takes workers’ compensation, please contact BlackStone and let us know.

    You can reach us by phone or email as follows:

    Phone: 800-734-4460

  • What if I live far away from the closest doctor on the list of providers?

    Contact your workers’ compensation adjuster and let him or her know. They will work with your employer to find an acceptable alternative.

  • What if I don't like my doctor and want to change?

    If you become dissatisfied with your initial choice of treating doctor, you should work with your employer and your workers’ compensation adjuster to select an alternate treating doctor from the list of BlackStone providers. It is important to take this step and obtain approval for the change prior to changing treating doctors.

  • What if I need to see a specialist?

    If that is the case, you should consult with your treating doctor and ask for a referral to a specialist on the BlackStone list of approved providers. Your employer and your workers’ compensation adjuster can also help you find an approved specialist.

  • Do I have to pay for my medical treatment?

    No, not if you use an approved provider. Of course, the services rendered must be related to your compensable workers’ compensation injury.

    If you obtain health care services from a doctor who is not on the list of BlackStone providers, without prior approval, you will be responsible for the cost of that care. Injured workers may only access health care providers who are not on the approved BlackStone list and remain eligible for coverage of incurred medical costs if one of the following situations occurs:

    • Emergency care is needed. In this case, you should go to the nearest hospital or emergency care facility.
    • You do not live within a direct contracting program service area.
    • Your treating doctor refers you to a non-participating provider AND the claim adjuster has approved the referral prior to treatment.

  • Who is Sedgwick?

    Sedgwick is the company BlackStone member employers have chosen to manage their Workers’ compensation claims. Sedgwick is a leading provider of claims management services. Your adjuster will be an employee of Sedgwick, but he or she is working with you on behalf of BlackStone and your employer to manage your workers compensation claim fairly and efficiently and to get you the treatment you need and, whenever possible, to return you to work.

  • What if I have a complaint about my doctor or anything related to BlackStone?

    You have the right to file a complaint with BlackStone. You may do so if you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the program. This includes a complaint about BlackStone or a BlackStone doctor.

    You can access the complaint/grievance process as set forth below. Complaints should be forwarded to:

    BlackStone Contracting Program
    Attention: Complaint/Grievance Coordinator

Need to find a provider?